Friday, November 2, 2007

Sweet (Potato) Memories

Food and wine to me have a huge time element to them. I love the anticipation of a soon-to-be-had meal or restaurant excursion. Enjoying something wonderful, especially a great wine, has an immediate here-and-now, in-the-moment aspect. And of course there's the past, the memories of pleasurable meals, wonderful food and wine experiences, even favorite childhood foods. And when I think about childhood foods, I think too of the people involved with those. Two immediately pop into my mind: with my Dad at a Cleveland Indians game at old Municipal Stadium, eating foot-long hot dogs with their stadium mustard; and my Mom, and the special dishes she prepared around the holidays.

I say all that to say this: today is the anniversary of my mother's death, so she's particularly on my mind today. It's symbolic too that November 2 has been since the early 1000's (or so) a day to remember the deceased, and now Nov. 2 is both El Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) and All Souls' Day. My mother was never a huge cook. As a working housewife, she fixed pretty basic fare, now that I know more about cooking. We had lots of pasta and potatoes and hamburgers and pizza made from bread dough. She did make a mean chocolate chip cookie (dunked in milk, of course). Again, great but nothing fancy. But she did have her special dishes, and one that I want to share now we had every Thanksgiving as a kid...and which I make every Thanksgiving at my house. So here's Grandma Polk's Sweet Potato Casserole. Enjoy.

Mix:
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. Cinnamon
3/4 cup honey
1 scant t. salt

Add this to:
2.5 lbs sweet potatoes (mashed)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
2 cups milk

Bake:
350 degrees for 45-60 minutes

Note: Actual sweet potatoes can look brown; yams are just as tasty and have more of the traditional sweet potato "orange" color.


Sandra Lee Evans Polk
1937 - November 2, 1993


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was blessed to have met and loved Grandma Polk as she was my husband's Mom. Can't believe she's been gone 14 years already but she'll never be truly gone as she lives in the hearts of all of those who loved her so much, in the faces of her grandkids,in her sweet potato casserole,in her cross stitch starter that hangs on the wall at my house. Her eldest granddaughter(and our oldest one) was the only one she ever got to meet,now there are 4 more she would have loved to have spoiled. But we know she's in heaven spoiling all the little angels who were never born.

a.polk said...

Isn't it great to eat the food you had as a kid? I love having my Grandma Polk's Sweet Potato Casserole on Thanksgiving and also sharing the memories which accompany it.

toby 69 said...

I guess I never really appreciated the little things about the holidays when I was younger. When your a kid, holidays are when you get out of school and get presents. Now that I have a family of my own, It means so much more. All I want to do is make them as memorable as I can for my children, just like my parents did for me. What I know for sure, I love my family, and I really miss my mother. If you could somehow read this mom, I love you and I think of you every day.

Big Night Fan said...

Thanks, all, for your comments.