Saturday, July 14, 2007

Down on the Farm

DATELINE OHIO: Faithful readers of this blog have surely (I hope!) noticed my lack of postings this past week. I have traveled to Ohio for a family reunion/vacation and discovered, to my horror, the lack of not only high-speed Internet access, but the lack of ANY Internet. I am writing this entry in the hotel lobby of a Comfort Inn, where my sister and her husband are staying.

Ohio remains, to me, very beautiful and, at least in July, idyllic. A day or two ago I was actually sitting outside on a lawnchair watching chipmunks skitter by and enjoying the American flag flapping in the gentle breeze, when from a nearby church I heard a tune I couldn't quite place at first...and then it came to me: "Amazing Grace." Ah, the charms of small-town Ohio....

But Ohio also has its flaws. My biggest pet-peeve with Ohio is with the food. Ohio has more 18-hole golf courses than any other state. It also has, much to my disgust, per-capita more fast-food restaurants than any other state. They are EVERYWHERE. For every one homestyle-type restaurant with charm and character such as Pickle Bill's, there are at least 20 fast-food places. The list goes on and on. McDonalds, Arby's, Burger King. Pizza Hut, Panda Express, Subway. Togo's, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesdays. Etc., etc., etc. So I succumbed. But doing so, I went way old-school: Bob Evans Restaurants, founded in 1948 by Bob Evans himself.

Here's the story: Bob Evans was a hog farmer. In 1948 in Gallipolis, Ohio, he opened up a 12-stool diner. He didn't like any of the sausage he could buy, so he ended up making his own. Not only did he use the "nasty bits", as Tony Bourdain would say, he also used the hams and tenderloins. The sausage took on a life of its own. Truck drivers said it was the best they'd ever had. They began to buy big packs to take with them. Pretty soon, Evans expanded. Today, there are 579 Bob Evans Restaurants in 18 states. The local legend has it (which I think has some truth to it) that restaurants could never be located further than a day's drive from the sausage plant in southwest Ohio, to ensure the freshest sausage. Anyway, growing up as a kid, Bob Evans Farms, The Home of Homestyle, was an occasional brunch splurge.

The food: Decidedly old-school, with a specialty of biscuits and "a fresh cup of creamy sausage gravy." It tastes decadently artery-clogging good. The blandness of the fluffy biscuits goes perfectly with the bite of the sausage. I ate my fill with several cups of black coffee, two eggs over easy, and a stack of home fries slathered in grease. Yes, it was fast-food. But at least it had two things I seek out in restaurants/food/wines: character, and a good story behind it.

Oh, yeah: Bob Evans died less than a month ago, on June 21, 2007, at the age of 89.

7 comments:

ckderum26 said...

Awesome that you went old school. . . Bob Evans! Greasy Spoon delight! A few weeks ago, I arrived in Manistee, MI to find that the infamous Big Boy is gone and in it's place is going a . . . gasp. . Walgreens...and it's the talk of the town. . . and has been for several weeks. . .gotta love small town USA - I guess.

Happy to have you home - get back into the routine and leave all mayo based casseroles in the midwest. Enjoy the culinary pleasures of Sonoma County. Have you been to Pizzios since you've been home? I bet you have ;-)

Anonymous said...

I grew up near Columbus. First thing I do after getting off the plane is head to the nearest Bob Evans Restaurant. There's home and then there's HOME.

Big Night Fan said...

Thanks for the 'welcome home', ckd. I have a big red circle around July 20 for dinner at Pizzios. Yes, it's good to be back...and yes, my other pet-peeve with the Midwest (and most of the U.S., in fact), is this relentless push to "bigger" via Wal-Marts and Walgreens and Sam's Club and Costco and all those other places with no charm/character/identity. I'll pay an extra 20 cents per roll of toilet paper to get into and out of a LOCAL store quickly, and get back home to more serious endeavors: such as drinking wine, fixing a great meal...and, of course, blogging!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is the BEST sausage, period.

Azy Does It said...

Bob Evans sounds very interesting.

a.polk said...

I did not know that story about Bob Evans, and I definitly agree about the growing number of fast food places. Every night is either pizza from Pizza Hut, Chi-fil-A chicken, or lunch at Subway. The best meal is a family cookout in the backyard.

Anonymous said...

Cruising the web and couldn't pass up reading your blg on Bob Evans. I grew up in Gallipolis and loved going to eat there. After moving away, it was the first place I wanted to eat when I came home. I still miss the sausage sandwich they used to serve. It was called a Farm Boy and my family always teased me for saying I wanted a farm boy. Bob Evans was a real down home person.