Sunday, April 20, 2008

My 'Quanto Basto'

My friend Monica suggested that, if I wasn't already familiar with it, I should get on the mailing list for VIVA: the Culinary Institute of Florence and the Italian Cultural Center. (O.K., she said that this just 'screams' me, so there.) I checked it out and wow, too cool for school! Apparently VIVA, located in our own tiny Sebastopol, puts on cooking classes and demonstrations for all things Italian. I was browsing their list of upcoming classes, and the one on May 15, I Sughi (sauces) really caught my eye. Here's a description straight from the VIVA email blurb:

Italian sauces are simple and to the point. Sauces can be spooned on top of pasta, tossed with it, baked with it, or served separately. But not so fast, here is the really tricky part: All Italian sauce preparation calls upon the measurement, technique, and all-around philosophy of life known as quanto basto -- literally, "the amount that is enough" or "the right amount." The philosopher-cook must always know and use precisely quanto basto.

Very cool, huh? We can all use the philosophy of quanto basto in our life, from the amount of wine we drink (not too much) to the amount of marketing we do for our business (not too little).

Anyway, the class will be taught by Chef Veronica Case Thur May 15 from 11:30-2:30 p.m. (don't people have JOBS?). Cost is $80. I'm gonna try my best to get there. Hope to see you, too. For info and to register, visit their web site. Ciao.

P.S. The pic is of the pasta puttanesca, at Pizzio's.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Quanto basto",huh! Or 'just enough'sounds to me like a very un-american and alien idea since we have no concept of 'just enough' as we always want more food,more money,more car,more house,more,more,more... Needless to say I'm very intrigued by this,eh,concept. I enjoy cooking and new ideas,so I'll also try to make the 'sauces class' at VIVA.

a.polk said...

The quanto basto sounds like a difficult feat to manage in order to get the food to taste just right. MMMM pasta is one of my FAVORITE foods!

Big Night Fan said...

Anonymous, I think that the concept of QUANTO BASTO fits right in with the "idea" of Every Meal A Feast: to slow down, to savor every meal and every drink, to be fully in the moment.... YOu all will be hearing more of this "movement" idea in the future....