Sunday, May 4, 2008

You Say Te - mā’- tō, I Say...

...yum! Yes, yours truly not only talks the talk when it comes to food and wine, but I walk the walk too. Case in point: I'm in the process of planting my garden. (See pic to right*.) My primary crop: tomatoes! IMHO, there is almost NOTHING that says 'summer' better than home-grown cherry tomatoes.

To introduce some Every Meal A Feast dash into the garden this year, yesterday nana (see pic to right) and I ventured to Kendall-Jackson Winery both to taste some wine (of course) and also snap up some of their heirloom tomato plants, which they had on sale (all 150+ varietals). Some of the varieties I bought include Plum Lemon, Snow White, and Olga's Round Yellow Chicken. I also scored some Genovese and Purple Ruffles basil, to go with the mint and cilantro I had planted previously. So it'll be interesting to see how these heirlooms do -- and taste!

At KJ

*Just kidding--that's the entrance to the KJ garden; here's part of my garden


FYI, here are a couple of K-J events that look cool:

Winemaker Dinner
Friday, May 9, Hyatt Vineyard Creek
$89/person
Fantastic menu with wine pairings including grilled basil-marinated white prawns, braised daube de boeuf, and chestnut flour crepes with Royal Blenheim (?) apricots.

12th Annual Heirloom Tomato Festival
September 6
Note: this event always sells out, and if you buy your tickets before June 30, tickets are only $55 per person, vs. $65 thereafter. For ticket info and purchasing, visit their web site or call (800) 769-3649.

Kendall-Jackson Wine Center
5007 Fulton Road, Fulton, CA 95439

Ah, here comes summertime!!!!

1 comment:

Azy Does It said...

never knew about the tomato festival. Thank you. Very little advertising on this? I have never seen anything about it.