Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hanging with John

Wow, did I have fun Tuesday: hung around at the Culinary Institute of America doing a little cooking, a little wine tasting, and then dinner with some great people, including someone named, uh, John Ash. That's right, the John Ash (see pic), of John Ash and Co fame and famed teacher, author and chef. (He has a VERY cool web site; check it out: ChefJohnAsh.com)

It was a blast (though I'm completely exhausted today). I'll go into more details soon, but let me begin by talking about our dinner last night at the Wine Spectator Greystone Restaurant. We started with "Today's Temptations", a series of small bites that included a humus dish and a pate. And then:
First Course
Summer Harvest Farms Tomato Salad

Second Course
California Red Snapper
Main Course
Ribeye off the Grill

Dessert
Peach and Ginger Souffle with Creme Angalise

It was a fantastic meal. I didn't particularly care for the ribeye (a bit fatty for my taste), but the snapper was incredible, and who can't get enough heirloom tomatoes this time of year.

Oh, and what's "John" like? Amazing approachable and likable, a great teacher, a man obviously passionate about all things food-related. All in all, a day-- and meal -- I won't forget.

Next time: John and I in the kitchen (and I have the pics to prove it)

No comments: