Friday, September 5, 2008

At the Station

O.K., so I'm a bit embarrassed to say that yours truly from Every Meal A Feast had never eaten at La Gare Restaurant in Santa Rosa's historic Old Railroad Square... until this past Saturday evening. La Gare, of course, is one of Santa Rosa's mainstays, and has been consistently voted one of the "most romantic dining spots" in the Santa Rosa area.

The meal? In a word: fabulous. G. had the Filet de Boeuf Wellington Tenderloin, which was outstanding, and I had the pork schnitzel special. The accompanying sauce was WOW. I also love the fact that La Gare has a good offering of wines by the half-bottle (perfect for the 'She's a white, I'm a red' couple...). All in all, fantastic food and a great experience.

I do have to say, though, that the "most romantic" has me a bit puzzled. Yes, the interior is dark, and cozy. But the tables are also very close together, making it not only somewhat loud, but also difficult for the waiters to negotiate. (Yes, during the meal, we heard at least two things fall/tip over.) But forget the romantic stuff; go for the food!

No comments: