Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Rosemary Syrup

Have you had this experience, where you go to a restaurant or spend a day eating and drinking a variety of great food, yet ONE THING stands out, even... haunts you? That happened to me during my day-long cooking/eating/drinking adventure with Chef John Ash recently at the Culinary Institute of America. What stunned me -- and the others in my group -- was a simple Rosemary Syrup, which we served over bundt cake-type dessert (the name of which I've forgotten -- sorry). Anyway, try this clear concoction sometime over cake... cornbread... fish... chicken... etc. (And please note, this is John's recipe, not mine; he gets all the credit -- I'm just the 'fan'.)

Rosemary Syrup
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons Rosemary leaves
1 Bay leaf
1/2 tablespoon whole peppercorns
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Combine all in a saucepan, stir, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Cool, strain, then refrigerate. Serve chilled.

No comments: