Friday, January 18, 2008

Napa Valley Everyday: Part 3

I've been talking online with my new blogger buddy, Cece Marie (alldolledup), who expressed an interest in visiting Wine Country with her husband again soon. Cece Marie: now is a great time to visit. Why? The crowds are absent, so it's easy to get around; the winery staff's have the time to actually talk to you; and it's easy to eat lunch (no waiting) or dinner (reservations when you want). So yes, by all means, I definitely recommend Wine Country in this "off season."
With this in mind, I thought it best to add today the third and final installment of my "Napa Valley Everyday" theme -- three great lunch places located on the 8-10 mile stretch of Highway 29 running from downtown St. Helena to Calistoga. Previously, I wrote about Buster's Southern Barbecue and Bakery (read my post; visit Buster's) and Silverado Brewing Company (read my post; visit Silverado). Now, it's time to tackle the "big T" -- Taylor's.
Since 1949, Taylor's Automatic Refresher has been a St. Helena main drag mainstay for great burgers, shakes, and fries. It's good wholesome "comfort food"...with, of course (!) a wine country twist -- high-quality products (love their buns!), healthier alternatives (salads, chicken, fish tacos, etc.), and a selection of more than 15 Napa Valley wines by the glass, half-bottle, or bottles.
Now, as great as their menu is, I have to admit, when I go to Taylor's (once a month -- I'm addicted, what can I say) I always order the SAME THING: the Blue Cheese Burger and the Sweet Potato Fries.

Now, if there are two sweeter combinations in the world than "hamburger" and "blue cheese", I certainly don't know what they are. The Taylor's BCB is a gooey, messy, salty, runny plethora of tastes and textures. And if you do find yourself at Taylor's, YOU HAVE TO GET AN ORDER OF SWEET POTATO FRIES. These orange-ish devils are sweet on the inside and with just that right amount of salt, and best of all, they aren't greasy like so many regular potato french fries can be.
Anyway, there are of course fabulous restaurants throughout the Napa Valley. But there are some great "everyday" places too, and Taylor's tops that list. Enjoy.

933 Main Street, St. Helena
10:30 - 8:30 everyday

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't eaten beef in years and yet you even managed to make my mouth water over that burger! Seriously! Perhaps it is this horrid New Years diet I'm on but my my that looks good! Well, when me and the hubby (Richard) make it to the wine country your blog will be my first stop before we go! Gotta make our rounds to some of your faves!