Thursday, June 19, 2008

Donning the Apron

"To want to own a restaurant can be a strange and terrible affliction. What causes such a destructive urge in so many otherwise sensible people?"
~ Tony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

Alas, I must confess: it has been (and growing) a food fantasy of mine to own and run a restaurant. Mentally, I'm playing with concepts, names, locations. Asking little questions here and there; perusing some web sites; jotting a note or two.... Wheels are, as they say, in motion. You will here more about this. When? Well, lets just say the card pulled now is X-The Wheel of Fortune; anything, in other words, is possible.

As part of my make-a-life-in-food-and-wine fantasy, this weekend I'm donning the apron in support of my super-chef friend M., who has a big catering gig and needs my body. (I would give you a link to her web site, or her blog, or her Facebook page or SOMETHING, but she has NONE of these things. I know, I know: It's VERY strange. Maybe one day she'll run into a marketing guy, or something. Anything is possible.) Yes, I'll be serving drinks and passing plates and prepping and clean up and all the 1,001 things that go into making great food and wine look effortless to the people who are supposed to be enjoying themselves. It'll be hot and sweaty and hectic and a bit grueling. And I can't wait.

And oh, yeah: Soon, you'll be hearing about my Every Meal A Feast apron. Here's one I've just developed for my friends at the Wine Country Inn. Cost? Eighteen bucks, plus tax. If you want one, send me an email, and I'll make sure you get one.

1 comment:

a.polk said...

hmmm a restauraunt!? interesting..... :)