Sunday, June 15, 2008

Men in Hats

It was late and every one had left the cafe except an old man who sat in the shadow the leaves of the tree made against the electric light. In the day time the street was dusty, but at night the dew settled the dust and the old man liked to sit late because he was deaf and now at night it was quiet and he felt the difference.

Growing up, one of the earliest influences on my life -- and particularly my reading life -- was Ernest Hemingway. I loved the Nick Adams stories, and Hem's other stories, and of course, reading about the Man himself -- all blood and balls, as they would would say. Many of Hem's stories are what people say about my stories -- they're quiet. Not a lot goes on. No one gets killed. There are no big "things". There are, though, moments... moments etched in time. Such is the case with one of my favorite Hem stories, A Clean, Well-Lighted Place. I thought about this story on Friday while I was lunching at Chloé’s French Cafe. It's located in a business complex, and is all neon lights and clean floors and open windows. And yet while the setting is somewhat... new, the owners are from France, and come from a family of bakers, and thus are producing authentic French cuisine. It is the type of place you would expect to see an older gentleman, in a hat, sitting quietly with his wife savoring a dish of salade duck confit or jambon brie while sipping a glass of red wine... and there was, in fact, such a man when I ate there (look closely in the center of the pic).

"Last week he tried to commit suicide," one waiter said.
"Why?"
"He was in despair."
"What about?"
"Nothing."
"How do you know it was nothing?"
"He has plenty of money."

For my lunch, I had the tuna nicoise sandwich, on a baguette. It was an amazing mixture of textures and flavors: sweet (from the vinaigrette), salty (from the tuna) and crunchy (from the baguette). And to splurge, I had a chocolate croissant for desert.

"I am one of those who like to stay late at the cafe," the older waiter said. "With all those who do not want to go to bed. With all those who need a light for the night."

Anyway, check out Chloé’s sometime -- you will NOT be disappointed. (And check out their web site if you want to learn who Chloé is. Hint: It's NOT a person!)

3883 Airway Drive (in the Landmark Executive Center)
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
Mon-Tues 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Fri 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Closed Sat and Sun

1 comment:

Leigh in NC said...

As usual, I read your blog and I immediately feel hungry and very far away, here in bland Cary NC.

So.. How about that Tiger?? Email me at leighleclair@lenovo.com