Monday, August 18, 2008

But I Still Want to Dine Out!

Top of mind today: how most restaurants (I'd say all, but then again, I've been to LoCoco's twice of late and each time it's been a zoo) have been impacted by the economic downturn. Today while talking with my chef friend Monica Sallouti (no web--yet), she mentioned several restaurants that she's heard are hurting. And there's a big article in today's Press-Democrat how more business workers are brown-bagging their lunch (bringing their own) as opposed to eating out (even a $5 sub sandwich... with a drink and a bag of chips... adds up if done 3-4-5 times per week). But in Every Meal A Feast land, I still want to dine out! So here are some of my thoughts and what I do to help my dollars go farther and still eat out.

1. More and more, before a nice meal, I like to eat a small appetizer (usually some cheese and crackers) and drink half a glass of wine AT HOME, before going to the restaurant. Not only does this help keep the bill low (less wine, I usually skip an appetizer), it helps take the edge off my hunger, which allows me to relax and enjoy the meal more, particularly if I've caught the restaurant at a busy time or when waits are long.

2. I've stopped buying bottles of wine. Instead, I order the best wine-by-the-glass that they have and try to have just one glass. By savoring one glass of a high-quality wine, my bill stays low... and I usually feel better too. (And if I don't particularly care for the wine, I only have to drink one glass, as opposed to being "stuck" with a bottle.)

3. I'm much more apt these days to have dessert and a glass of port AT HOME after the restaurant. Again, two benefits: keeps my restaurant tab low, and stretches out the meal, aiding digestion and incorporating, I like to think, the 'slow' food movement of not rushing through a meal. (In fact, this concept can almost become like a progressive dinner: appetizer at home, entree at the restaurant, dessert at a coffee shop or back at home, etc.).

Anyway, I still want to dine out OFTEN... and the just-mentioned ways help me do so. Cheers.

No comments: