Thursday, September 20, 2007

87 KKW CS: ?!?!?

The Incanto feast countdown has passed the less-than-12-hours-to-go mark, which is nice. Yesterday, I went deep, deep into my wine cellar, and emerged hours later (and quite dusty too, as a matter of fact) with a bottle of 1987 Kathryn Kennedy Winery Cabernet Sauvignon. KKW is located in Saratoga, California, in the South Bay, very close to the Santa Cruz Mountains appellation. The story behind my association with this winery is as follows: many moons ago, while living in the South Bay, I answered a "call for volunteers" at this small, family-run winery, and helped several times during their mobile bottling. My payment: KKW wine. I've been nursing these bottles over the years, reserved of course for special occasions, and now am ready to break one out again tonight. A great meal deserves a great wine, of course, so why not go for a 20-year-old Cab? It also adds another layer to the dinner, i.e., has the wine held up? Has my cellar done me justice? Ah, questions...soon to be answered.
A shot of the KKW vineyards:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

20-year-old Cab: WOW! Would love to try that.

Anonymous said...

Dog, have fun tonight. Don't eat anything I wouldn't!
Toby