Thursday, September 27, 2007

Friday Night Fun

As a food and wine lover, I have a special attraction to France in general, and Paris in particular. (I've been to Paris twice, and want to go back VERY soon.) To help whet my Paris/France appetite, I like to watch French-made movies. Why the stories often aren't the greatest, I love to watch the scenery, particularly when food and wine are involved.

So here's a suggestion for a fun French food and wine movie: Apres Vous (please mentally add that little accent over the 'e'). It's about a headwaiter at a French restaurant (Daniel Auteuil) who, to help a stranger, tries to have the stranger (played by Jose Garcia) become the restaurant's sommelier. Everything gets complicated, of course (no good deed goes unpunished!) when, of course, Auteuil falls in love with Garcia's love-of-his-life, Blanche (Sandrine Kiberlain). Of course.

While the story may be a bit predictable, particularly the ending, I thought that there were many funny moments and of course great food and wine scenes. And there's something more: Apres Vous has a very human touch, its humanity---what it means to be human---is very evident, and to me, that makes any movie worth seeing. Check it out and enjoy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does APRES VOUS mean???

Big Night Fan said...

Ooops, of course: Apres Vous means 'After You.'
Tim

Azy Does It said...

I too like a good french film. Maybe I will check it out. Thanks Tim.