Monday, June 18, 2007

Arrrrrrghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Some jokes I forgot almost instantly. Others have stayed with me for years. For some reason, I've remembered since the eighties one by the comedian Steven Wright: "Women--can't live with them, can't shoot them." Now this is a cruel, senseless joke that has no place in our modern world and which should be erased from old Steven Wright CDs (and from my memory, if that was possible). If only it weren't sometimes so true.

Case in point: Last Friday, my female companion had to work till 6:00 p.m., which means that we didn't make to the opening night of the Occidental Farmer's Market until nearly 7:00 p.m. I of course had been thinking for days about Gerard Nebesky's paella, which he occasionally serves there (see my entry dated June 10: "The Simple Life").

We found his stand...only to see two women forlornly wiping clean the two huge paelleras, those wide shallow pans used to cook that delicious concoction of rice and seafood and spices. THEY HAD SOLD OUT!!!!! So here's my tip for today: Go to the Occidental Farmer's Market (Fridays, 4:00 p.m. till dusk) but go EARLY. Be there by 5:00 p.m. and you'll be assured a wonderful dish of seafood heaven. And look for me: I'll be waiting in line---sans female companion---too.

1 comment:

gioconda said...

Well, your female companion was dissapointed for you too, however someone has to work and make a living,huh! Anyway, the fresh, organic, ripe produce we picked up last wednesday was totally AWESOME. As fresh as it gets(short of plucking it off the trees ourselves), we also got to meet the farmers and sample other wonderful stuff such as different spreads,breads and enjoy ourselves and the beautiful,quaint Occidental.