Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Simple Life

No, not a rant about Paris... (What more can one say, other than she is the Hero of The archetypal story of mankind, which always has the same plot: Can this person be saved?)
Instead, I wanted to share several simple-but-oh-so-pleasurable food and wine experiences over the weekend:
* Friday night, at Pizzio's Cucina Italiana in west Santa Rosa, a delicious glass of Port--Ferrieria's Porto Ruby. It was amazing to sit in the dimming evening lights, enjoying the potent, raisin-y wine, talking to my new friend and fellow solo diner Brandon. Magnificant.
* Saturday evening, after a long hot afternoon of yard work and tree trimming, take-out Chinese of broccoli and beef with white rice, with several Gordon Biersch Marzen amber lagers.
* On Sunday morning, two eggs over easy, a bagel slathered with peanut butter, and two cups of strong good black coffee.

Another simple pleasure begins again this Friday: June 15 marks the start of the new season for the Occidental Bohemian Farmers Market in Occidental, in West Sonoma County. If you haven't been, you should check it out: Fridays 4 p.m. till dusk. Every so often--as he is this Friday--Gerard Nebesky cooks paella. The line stretches throughout the market; the smells, well, intoxicating.
Every Meal A Feast doesn't mean sitting down to a five-course dinner during some magnificant celebration. It does mean trying to celebrate every meal, every food and wine experience, no matter how simple.
Your turn: What's one of your simple food or wine pleasures?

7 comments:

a.polk said...

I have often heard about that Occidental market but I have never actually been there. Are there some activities for children?

a.polk said...

One of my favorite meals is also one of the simplest-just some pasta with italian red sauce and some cheese sprinkled on top and a side of bread.

a.polk said...

Speaking of Paris, I will shortly be leaving for Europe (this thursday!) and i hope to have many memorable food and wine experiences. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should try?

Big Night Fan said...

Ah, what wonders await you in France, and in particular Paris! Of course you should eat several nice dinners. And during my trip to Paris I LOVED walking the streets "window shopping" at all the cheese stores, butcher shops, bakeries...the chickens on the rotisseries. But more so, try to start each day as a true Parisian: a croissant, a glass of orange juice, a cup of coffee. And weather permitting, savor this breakfast at a Parisian cafe, outside in the sun, watching the rest of the world pass by.

a.polk said...

Thanks for the advice. I really hope I can survive with my meager amounts of french! Some things I have picked up on: bakery=boulangerie
grocery store=epicerie
meat=viande
cheese=fromage
red wine=vin rouge
I look forward to sharing my experiences with you upon my return!

a.polk said...

I also wanted to say that I checked out the Ghost Horse website which you have included on your blog page and I must say that I was completely blown away-its fabulous! Who designed it? I definitly recommend looking at it!

Big Night Fan said...

I'm glad that you liked ghosthorseworld.com. It is a VERY unique site. Todd Anderson makes a fabulous Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.