Thursday, June 14, 2007

Tom Keller and me

While strolling about downtown Yountville yesterday, I wandered past 6640 Washington Street--site of The French Laundry restaurant. Have you heard of it?


JUST KIDDING. Thomas Keller's The French Laundry, of course, is one of the most celebrated and respected restaurants in the Napa Valley, if not California, if not the U.S.---and yes, if not the world. The waiting list for reservations is 2+ months; prix fix $240 per person, plus wine and tip. While I've never eaten there, I WILL one day...and just to be in the moment, and help make-real my goal, I wandered a few doors down to his Bouchon Bakery. Ah, what sights! What smells! What temptations! When exposed to a multitude of treasures such as this, I usually do one of two things: pick the wildest, most unusual item to sample, or simply go old-school, and pick a classic. In this case, I went classic: a light, flakey, buttery pain chocolate. In a word: delicious. It takes a creative and imaginative mind to make unique and outstanding food or wine. It also takes a true soul to make the simple things, well, perfectly. And there yesterday in Yountville, in the shadow of The French Laundy, I had what may well be a perfect pain chocolate.
P.S. I know, I know: I'm teasing you regarding the Nord dinner, and Robert Parker's attendance. (See my posts "...and nervous" and "The Greatest Sentence Ever".) The tale will be told shortly, I promise. In the meantime, isn't the anticipation...delicious???? www.frenchlaundry.com

3 comments:

gioconda said...

THE FRENCH LAUNDRY !
I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your "scumptious" piece "Tom Keller and me". The article made long for an authentic 'pain au chocolate' made in the true french artisan way. Light and flaky, yum!
As for The French Laundry, I too will some day be able to go (wanna go with me?) as it is renowed the world over. I have actually read articles in culinary magazines and or seen recipes from the restaurant featured in various publications, so you know its reputation precedes it.
Keep up the good work. I truly look forward to reading the daily postings on your blog that come from your prolific mind as well as the minds of other people such as ourselves who love good food and good wine.

ckderum26 said...

Thanks Tim - now I'm hungry!

Sounds tasty, and I too will be dining at the French Laundry someday as well. . . I can only hope that it lives up to it's reputation.

Big Night Fan said...

We should all make some goal to go, something like: if X happens, we'll go have dinner at TFL. You know, something like:
We made our 2007 revenue goal.
Or, we landed X number of new clients in 07.
Or, lightening didn't strike us dead in 07.
Or, the sun came up every day like it's supposed to....
Life's too short NOT to go (especially cause the world will always have (1) ladders and (2) husbands who climb them.