Thursday, August 30, 2007

Friends in Sweet Places

Garth Brooks may have friends in low places, but I have at least one friend (hey, no comments on that!) in a sweet place.
Here's the scoop: During my time at Pizzio's, I've gotten to know L., who turns out is the pastry chef at the famed Dry Creek Kitchen in Healdsburg. L. has invited me several times to come over while he's working. So this past Friday night, G. and I went. But we didn't want to do the whole Dry Creek Kitchen experience (of celebrity chef Charlie Palmer fame). I mean, what if we got TOO FILLED UP for dessert?!?! The horror!

So we went restaurant hopping. We stopped first at Restaurant Charcuterie, which is a few doors down from the Dry Creek Kitchen. (They don't have a web site that I can find--how strange!) It's a great French bistro-type place, with crowded tables and a big old bar that seats a good four people. We had wine and their delicious appetizer place, the Chacuterie Plate. HMMMMMMM! Two kinds of salami (Rosette de Lyon and garlic), some duck rillette, pork pepper pate, plus a selection of olives and grapes. Wonderful! Throw in some bread, and that's a great meal for me.

Properly fortified, we strolled around downtown Healdsburg a bit, then went to our 9:30 p.m. reservation at the Dry Creek Kitchen.


The desert menu made my head spin! Here's how my thinking went:
Amaretto Creme Brulee, oooo, sounds good.
Toasted Lemon-Olive Oil cake, wow, sounds different.
Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding...with Organic Cherry Puree...and Guinness Ice Cream?!?!
GUINNESS ICE CREAM???

GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a drive to deep right field. Way back, way back.... Gone! HomerunBarryBonds.

Gretzky skates over the timeline, deeks the defender! Only the goalie to beat. Gretzky shoots, scores!!!!!

The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!

Needless to say, I had that, and it was wonderful--rich and dense yet balanced with the fruit and the ice cream. G. had creme brulee. Then, L. came out (we had told the waiter we were his friends) and presented us with two freebie desserts--which we happily devoured. Then, as a take home gift, L. had the waiter present us with two small boxes, each of which contained a selection of three homemade chocolates.

So we were living in style. Just hanging out at the Dry Creek Kitchen, sampling great desserts, I'm having Port, and having the pastry chef come out and treat us like Rock Stars. Hey, as I've said before, You only go around once in life, but if you do it right, once is enough.

L., thanks for making a special night very special. And the next time I see you around, L., I'm buying the drinks till I get that Guinness ice cream recipe from you!!

2 comments:

ckderum26 said...

umm. .sounds good. . I'll have that

Anonymous said...

Hey boy.
Next time, bring me along.
Toby