Saturday, August 4, 2007

"It's a bird, it's a plane, it's..."


it's.....
















it's....






























SUPERBURGER?!?!?



FROTB know that I'm a vintage kind of guy. I like people, places, and things with character--with a few bumps and bruises, some scrapes, those who have not just seen a little life, but experienced a little life. I don't like cheese-y things. Matt Damon in the Bourne movies; yes. Steven Segal in Marked for Death; no (mind you, Segal is one bad dude, so I don't think I'd say this to his face!). So needless to say, during my travels around Santa Rosa in Sonoma County when I ran across Gayle's Superburger, I was, shall I say, skeptical.... But being the foodie that I am, I tried it the other day...

...and liked it. Gayle's Superburger has been a burger diner since 1947. Now it's run by Gayle and Doug Darling. I spoke with Doug, who's the main cook, and he told me that Gayle's specializes in "burgers, fries, and homemade pies." (Doug came in to the place 18 years ago to get a cup of coffee and, well, the rest is history.)

Inside Superburger:



Of course, I went old school, ordering the Regular Cheeseburger (4 oz., $4.95) and small side of onion rings ($2.45). The burger was excellent. Medium-rare, and hence that tinge of pink in the middle, with a soft bun that absorbs the burger's juices before they hit your fingers/lap/the floor. I'm not a fan of onion rings, and these were pretty heavy on the grease, but they were good. I also love the fact that you can add what you what in terms of condiments. The burger came with iceberg lettuce and tomato, and with relish, mayo, onions, ketchup and mustard all available.

My burger and side of rings: (Notice that I was a little excited with the mustard. Unfortunately, my buddy Jimmy Z, who helped me out previously with my premature cork extraction, wasn't there this time. I got the mustard EVERYWHERE: on the napkins, on the counter, on the floor, on the waitress....)




The take-out window:



So check out Gayle's Superburger sometime. While borderline cheesy, it's good, simple homemade eats served up by good simple folks who like good food. Nough said.
Gayle's Superburger
1501 4th Street, Santa Rosa; cross-street: St. Helena St.
546-4016
Opens at 11:00 a.m., till 8:00 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays

If you do go, a few notes:
1. NO HOT DRINKS FOR TAKE-OUT. Don't even bother to ask.
2. ABSOLUTELY NO CELL PHONES. Trust me on this; you've been warned.
3. THE COUNTER IS ORIGINAL. Which means it was built in the 1940's...when apparently no one was taller than 5-4"...which means there is 8.25" between the stool and the counter...which means that if you are taller than 5-5, YOU WILL HIT YOUR KNEES REPEATEDLY ON THE COUNTER. (I had to eat sitting side-saddle, let's just leave it at that.)

P.S. Is there any burger joint or pizza shop within a 100-mile radius that Joe Montana HASN'T eaten in and left behind a signed photo??? Joe, I know hindsight is 20-20, but man, maybe if you'd stayed a way from the burger joints a little more, you'd a been a little lighter on your feet and been available to AVOID a few more of those bone-crushing, back-breaking (literally) hits. Anyway, Joe, if you want to share your fav burger joint, you know how to reach me.

5 comments:

ckderum26 said...

greasy spoon. . it's gotta be good! I for one appreciate a good burger. Go see Bourne . . .Matt Damon (one of my favs) . . awesome. . .we saw it last night. . Steven Segal. . not so much. . . doesn't even garner a netflix pic.

Here's something you'll appreciate. Chris is in Forestville playing poker, it's midnight, and there's a pork shoulder on the slow cooker in the back yard. It'll be ready tomorrow around noon. . pulled pork anyone?

Big Night Fan said...

Ooooooo....:pulled pork. NICE! I hope that you have an appropriate bar-b-que sauce to go with it!!!! What's your address??? (er, no particular reason I'm asking, you know, just, well, curious....)

Anonymous said...

You've gotta back for the pies---they're amazing.

Anonymous said...

I second the pies. Worth the visit.

Azy Does It said...

I have never been. But, I love a good a burger! I will have to check it out.